The Opie Memorial Science and Domestic Arts building was opened in 1950 on the 50th Anniversary of the school by the Governor General Lord Soulbury. In the 1940s no girls’ school was as yet equipped to provide a science course for the University Entrance Examination and Ladies’ College candidates were dependent on the generosity of Royal College and later St Thomas’ College for the use of their laboratories. It was felt that had she lived, Ms Opie would surely have felt that Ladies’ college must lead the way in science for women. So the Opie Memorial Fund was inaugurated in 1944 and by 1950 the jubilee year, sufficient funds were collected as a magnificent tribute to the life and work of a great Principal.
The senior science laboratory included Physics, Chemistry and Biology labs and the junior laboratory was housed later on in the neighboring building (“Glass House”). Ms Simon’s open attitude of respect for all spheres of knowledge and creativity were reflected in her decision to incorporate into a single building a fully equipped new science laboratory and an equally well equipped home science centre. The domestic science room was very popular among students who did not wish to enter the university. The Cookery Group that year won the Challenge Cup awarded for first time by the All Ceylon Womens’ Conference. An interest in cookery is still encouraged throughout the school and is included in the curriculum.
“A Pineapple trophy ” is awarded in an open competition where the innovativeness and expertise in producing the best menu for a particular event Is judged