1900 – to date
A school that is as rich in heritage and history as ours deserves a fitting place in which to store records of the past. To fulfill this need, the school commemorated the centenary celebrations of the Old Girls Association by inviting the President of the OGA Dr Deepthi Attygalle to lay the foundation stone for the Archive Building in October 2009. On the 29th of October 2010 this beautiful building was opened by Deshamanaya Siva Obeyesekere our oldest Past President of the OGA.
The history of our college goes back over a hundred years beginning with Lilian Nixon 1900 -1914. She established the school in a rented bungalow in Slave Island but the college grew so much under her leadership that the school had to move from the original location to its present site. Today under the leadership of our seven successive principals we have not only a school with beautiful buildings in tree filled surroundings in the heart of the city but our up to date facilities both curricular and extra-curricular are enjoyed by the students of today. We are proud of the growth of our school within the ethos we have never forgotten, to become one of the leading national girls schools in this country.
The archives display the material we have collected over the years under the seven principals and by the Old Girls Association in the form of a walk through exhibition which tells the history of the College in words and pictures.
We appeal to Old Girls and students to help us with this project with material regarding the school with pictures, articles, newspaper clippings, old badges and trophies of the past which they may possess or have received as part of their family heirlooms.
Visit the gallery of the history of the school under the seven principals
View the Videos of the last decade