The tragic events of Easter Sunday have shocked and saddened all of us. Though in such situations fault lines are often drawn on the basis of race, religion or ethnicity, it is never about any of it but the vulnerability of human minds. Here at Ladies’ College we have and will always be “one family unbroken” and must with “one heart” of love and forgiveness and “one voice” of empathy and compassion be the balm and balance our nation needs in these challenging times.
In the present extenuating circumstances, the safety and well-being of our students and staff are paramount. To this end, with the advice and the recommendation of the authorities, we have endeavoured to put in place extensive security and safety processes and attach hereto a set of Safety and Security Guidelines to enable the smooth management of the day-to-day operation and activities in the present context.
Please also be informed that all official notices will be communicated to parents and guardians through ‘Akura SMS’, printed notices and the School’s website/official E-mail address. Please disregard and do not forward any other communications received through social media or any other portal, as this may cause unnecessary confusion and disrupt the safety measures we have put in place. If you receive such messages please inform the school on 0777735960.
As we move forward, we must have faith that goodness and righteousness will prevail for “this is the victory even our faith.”
Mrs. Eesha Speldewinde
Safety & Security Guidelines (2019)
- A sweep of the school premises by the authorities will be carried out before school re-opens.
- Checking of bags will be carried out at the gates in the mornings.
- Please drop your child off half an hour before school commences in the morning to help him/her complete the safety procedures and get to class on time.
- NO parent/visitor/unauthorized outsiders or vehicles will be permitted into the school premises.
- In the event of a family/medical emergency please contact the school office to make arrangements to pick your child up.
- It is important that you are contactable in an emergency. All contact details must be accurate and contactable. Please inform the school in writing if there is a change in your contact details.
- Lunches are available in the tuck-shop or hostel lunches could be ordered from the school office.
- All extra-curricular activities will conclude on or before 6pm until further notice. Parents will be informed of rescheduled times and/or days of any activities.
- Arrangements to issue car stickers are being made and you will be notified in due course of same.
- Parking of vehicles (including stopping to take bags out of the luggage compartment) will not be permitted when students are dropped off. They are expected to get off the vehicles quickly in order to ease the flow of traffic.
- Designated representatives will be present alongside the pavement to assist your child to the gate (and if necessary to her/his class).
- Parents are encouraged to drop-off Nursery students at the top of the road leading to the Nursery. Teachers will be stationed there to escort the children to their classes.
- Students from KG upwards could be dropped-off either at the Bookshop Gate or at the Main Gate.
- Only authorized vehicles (school vans / school buses) will be permitted to be parked alongside the pavement in front of the school wall and the road leading to the Nursery Gate.
- No other vehicles can be parked or left unattended at any time.
- To ease congestion, parents of students (Grade 10 upwards) who are picked-up in their private vehicles are encouraged to pick-up children between 2 – 2.15p.m.
- No parcels and packages (inclusive of bags, food, cakes etc.) will be accepted by the school at any time.
- Students are encouraged to bring their school books and any required items in transparent bags and water in a transparent bottle.
- Please send a change of light clothing with your child’s name & class attached,in a transparent bag or pouch to the class teacher.
Students travelling by school vans
- It is imperative that the school is informed via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, May 3, 2019 of the following – name, ID number, contact number of van driver and vehicle number of the van. Please indicate your daughter’s name and class.
- An evacuation plan has been drawn up by experts and drills will be conducted.
- In the event of an emergency the school has been directed by the relevant authorities to stagger the release of students.
- Accordingly, the school will send out an SMS alert indicating the time your child needs to be picked-up from school (siblings will be permitted to leave at the earliest time given).
- In the event you are unable to pick your child/children after a considerable period of time, she/they will have to be picked up from the Hostel Gate.
- No person will be permitted to come into the school. Your child could be picked-up at the following points after signing the required release sheets held by designated staff members/representatives at each respective point:
Nursery (2+, 3+ & 4+) and SEU students > Nursery Gate
KG students (Grades 1 – 3) > Front garden small gate in front of the Hall
Primary students (Grades 4 – 6) > Bookshop Gate
Middle School students (Grades 7 – 9) > Chapel small door
Upper School (Grade 10 upwards) > Main Gate
Thank you for your cooperation and support to ensure the well-being and safety of all our students and staff.